9.15.2009

Husband’s Log - #1

Those Five Little Words
Star Date: 09-7-12-AJ
(July 12 2009…After Jesus)
Day 79

I have been coerced into…maybe “coerced” is a bit strong. Hmmmm…compelled…that’s it. I have been COMPELLED to record my experiences for the “Newlywed Chronicles”. You may be asking yourself, “What could COMPEL him to express publicly his exploits with Mrs. WOW?” Well, I’m glad you asked. I’ll tell you what it is. Five simple yet powerful words…she said I had to!

Now some of you know me, some do not. Those, of you who do, know that I have a difficult time with submission. My dad says I have a problem with authority. I disagree. I just don’t like people telling me what to do. Then I got married! Yessiree, this is when ALL my negotiation skills came into play. This past year has been very interesting because I have had to submit to, rely on and have faith in God. It may not seem like a big thing to those of you who haven’t suffered from DBS, but it’s huge for me. Everyone knows what DBS is…Dumb Boss Syndrome? C’mon, don’t act like I’m the 'onlienst' one, as my cousin says. How many of you have worked for someone or worked on a project where the lead person was a complete…doofus! He or she is in charge but they haven’t the first clue as to how they should accomplish the task at hand. If so then you my friend have suffered from DBS. (Breathe) I needed to take a moment. I have to be careful because I have a bit of a potty mouth. Consequently, Mrs. WOW has limited me to two “French” words a day and I don’t want to use them up I might need them later because my sister’s coming over.

Where was I…oh yeah, submission. From a young age I have depended on one person…me. Whatever it was, I would find a way to get it done. So imagine my surprise when God told me, “Theresa will be your wife. I am going to bless you with one of My most precious gifts. She has been your friend and confidante for years. She will now be your wife and you have to do what she says. Together the two of you will blahblahblahblahblahbalhablahblahbalhablahbalhablahblahblahblah”. I was like, “Hold up, uhhh…what was that middle part?” But I have learned that by doing what she needs me to do I am doing what He requires of me. In other words, I’m being obedient. Which is not an adjective even I would use to describe myself.

We have in our possession Bride & Groom shirts that we wear AT THE SAME TIME and people tend to love them oddly enough. However, it seems as if My shirt gives license to any man over 45 to provide me with his sagely advice. They all say the same thing, whether they have been married or not. Laughing, which I haven’t figured out why as yet, they say, ”Do what she says, it keeps peace in the home.” Not, “Buy her flowers everyday” or “Pretend you like her food” or even, “Don’t let her watch Thelma & Louise”. I want one of these Dr. Phil wannabes to say, “Doing what your wife says doesn’t mean you’re being weak or acquiescing. Whether you know it or not, it means you are submitting to God’s will and that’s exactly where you want to be…in God’s will.

Some years ago Mrs. WOW gave me a book called Hope for Each Day: Words of Wisdom and Faith by Billy Graham. She had it engraved, “Darryl’s Jesus Book” hoping it would replace my “Devil Book” which I was currently using for daily affirmations. (LOL) I won’t tell you the name of that book because I don’t want to diss anybody. Suffice it to say, most of the people of color I know have one. Anyway in my Jesus Book it says: God’s work done in God’s way will never lack God’s provisions. I know this to be true. Thank you God for my gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment