9.14.2009

Grooms Story - How we met!

Groom's Story
I have been coerced by the Brown Teletubby (aka Wood) to tell my story. Mine is truly an American story of overcoming. I was born the son of a sharecropper in the deep South. Shhh! She's coming! Don't tell her I wrote that! She hates when I talk about my humble beginnings! You should know that she and Jan beat me when no one's around, so please stay on this site for as long as you possibly can!

The song you hear playing, Sent From Heaven, best describes what Wood means to me, once I realized it wasn't saying, "617". I can honestly say that God has sent this woman to me. She makes me want to be a better man. What more can you ask for? There's another song that says, "God bless the broken road that led me straight to you", and I thank Him for her everyday.

About five years ago, my sister Dale, upon hearing that I was relocating to Los Angeles without really knowing anyone, suggested I give her friend Theresa McFaddin a call. I didn't know they were mere acquaintances. One day while packing, I called this total stranger and pretended I was a customer service rep from "Jesus Jesus God God magazine" and I told her that her subscription had expired. To which she replied, "I don't have a subscription to Jesus Jesus God God magazine." I said, "Ma'am, I'm not going to argue the point with you, but if you don't renew your subscription, you will be in trouble with you know who! After a few more moments of going back and forth, she finally started screaming at me and hung up the phone.

I continued packing and called back about three hours later to formally introduce myself. When she answered the phone, I said, "may I please speak with Theresa McFaddin..." She started screaming, "why are you doing this to me? I'm a good person! I'm calling the police! I spoke to them earlier..."
"uuhhh... this is Darryl...Dale's brother?"
"Oh my God! I'm soo sorry! I've been getting crank calls all day! I'm so sorry!" I calmly responded, "Really, that's awful...I can call back."

Suffice it to say, I moved to LA and we became great friends. I didn't tell her that I was the customer service rep for about six months! She's marrying me anyway, go figure!

Wood is my best friend, my confidante, and my muse...so when she proposed to me, my only response was, "why do your cousins have guns???"

My love, you were truly "Sent to me From Heaven." I love you so much sometimes, that it scares the crap out of me. But I have my best friend by my side, so I can make it through anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment