7.08.2011

High Heels & Nursing Pads... Finding My New Life at 42!

Our princess ... Iris Grace
We left the hospital on May 20th after a c-section birth on May 16th.  Due to low fluid, she was delivered a couple days earlier than scheduled.  We were so quiet driving home, in shock that we were allowed to "take the baby".  Yep, Iris Grace was our daughter and would forever changed our lives.
For days and weeks, our world was all about her... and still is! Every noise, grunt and movement brought wonder and surprise.  Grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins came to visit.  She was held, kissed and loved by her family and parents.  I cannot believe that seven weeks have passed by!

During the pregnancy, we decided that we wanted her to be a breast fed baby to ensure optimal health.  As a result, an electric breast pump was purchased, nursing bras and tops ... and most of all disposable nursing pads.  Now I knew nursing pads were needed, but I didn't know they'd rule my day every time I got dressed or even went to sleep.  Once Iris was born, the journey began!

Now unlike young moms, having a baby via c-section at 42 is quite a notion! hahaaa - it's not all about bouncing back to your same elegant clothing and running the streets being glamorous!  Loosing weight is a project and so is wearing high heels!

Due to my height (4'11") I've prided myself in wearing heels at all times!  But during my pregnancy, I had to renegotiate this life staple since I was HUGE!  This baby took over every space on my person, as a result... flip flops it was.

I've found that during the newborn phase of staying home and adjusting to parenting, you are so consumed with how beauty-full your child is, that you forget YOU!  One day I found that headbands and casual clothes had become my standard attire.  No more shopping at Nordstroms... all my time was spent at baby stores.  Now, don't get me wrong, shopping for my little girl is fun and very exciting!  But one morning I woke up and missed my wardrobe, MAC, purses and most of all... my heels!

The pain came when I realized that with the extra weight and the big "breast feeding instruments", my clothes didn't fit like before.  This calls for creative revamping of my style as a woman and a mom.

Glamour doesn't have to be forfeited when you become a new mom.
It may not be in the same place you left it, 
but look inside and you will discover the journey to the new YOU!

The bottom line lesson is don't forget YOU as you give affection to your baby and dress her/him up.  Your baby, your husband, your friends and your world need to see you redefine your style.  Every time I complain about my weight, Darryl says, "Theresa... you just had a baby! It will come off!"  The pounds will come off when I get to work on them... and I will, because I'm finding my new life at 42 and embracing the journey! 

Last Sunday we had friends visiting from out of town and were all going to breakfast.  After I got our little princess Grace dressed up... I went to do "me". Hmmm... this would be hard since not everything in the closet fit.  I wondered what I could wear with my gold flip flops, but then I heard my inner style girlfriend say, "Theresa, wear your gold metallic slide on heels!"  I worried that I wasn't healed from surgery, but it had been 7 weeks and the heels weren't so high that I was being insane.  After finding a dress that fit, I tried on the shoes!  How great it felt to be a girl!  But I didn't stop there, I even took out some time to put on my MAC makeup! I was almost done, but I couldn't leave until I slid a pair of nursing pads down my tank top! hahaha

When we were riding in the car, Darryl turned to me and said, "You look so pretty today!"  It was hard to say thank you, because my initial reaction was to focus on my extra weight and bigger bra size... but, I was starting a new journey so I smiled and said "Thanks baby!"

To all my new moms... find the new YOU and embrace the journey!
There's beauty after babies... and high heels too!

#getonamission
#noroomforexcuses
Theresa Ordell

3 comments:

  1. sooo true! Learning to finally do that after three. Its nice to feel like a lady, and not always a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa I love how transparent you are! I had my children in my twenties and boy that was a lot of work. I spent most my days in sweats and looked a hot mess! I am delighted to know that you are still taking time out for yourself early in motherhood! Enjoy the journey every second of it is priceless even the weight / nursing pads. I think i should have bought stock in nursing pads! lol

    ReplyDelete